Introduction of polyurethane foam fender
Polyurethane foam fender is a kind of constructive fender with polyurethane materials as its outer protective layer and polyethylene or plastic foam core forming the resilient inner part. Through compressive deformation to absorb impacting energy of the ship when using. So that it can reduce destructive effect to the pier and the ship.
Specification of polyurethane foam fender
Diameter x Length mm
|Reaction Force/KN||Energy Absorption/ KJ||(KG)|
Application of polyurethane foam fender
1. Tankers, Gas Carriers and Bulk Cargo Ships
2. Fast ferries and aluminum hulled vessels
3. Temporary of permanent installations
4. Rapid response and emergency fendering
5. As stand-off fenders to realign ships with shore facilities.
Features of polyurethane foam fender
1. Reinforced elastomer skin
EVA foam filled fenders have a nylon filament reinforced polyurethane skin which has excellent resistance to water, oil, ice, strong sunlight and abrasive surface. It remains flexible even at -40°C (-40°F) making it suitable for Tropical or Arctic operations.
2. Energy absorbing
The EVA foam filled fender absorbs impact energy so colliding vessels will not damage the buoy or themselves.
3. Unsinkable foam
Only closed-cell foams are used in EVA foam filled fenders. The micro-bubble matrix of the foam means it does not absorb water even if cut or damaged. This makes EVA foam filled fenders impossible to sink.
4. Permanent colors
The poly urea skin is pigmented through its entire thickness, so colors will not wear off and will never need repainting. A wide choice of bright colors can help improve safety and identification.
Advantages of polyurethane foam fender
1. Good floatability makes the installation site not affected by tidal range.
2. Non-pneumatic operation, free from scratch and fiction,seawater corrosion resistance and high salt-alkalia tolerance, longer service life up to 15 years without regular maintenance.
3. Higher safety factor, free from explosion risk.
Differences between EVA foam fenders and PVC fenders
EVA foam fender
Foam Core+ Nylon Cord
Polyvinyl Chloride PVC +Air Inside
Hollow, easy to be ruptured
High Energy absorbing,Low Reaction, Low hull pressures (just 172kN/m2)
Not as good as foam filled fenders
Because of unsinkable design, they can provide constant protection for ships
Because of easiness of rupturing, put ships in danger of collision
Even at the end of their first service life they can be returned to the factory for refurbishment before going back to work
Once broken stop working